It was a typical Friday afternoon, I had just gotten home from a long strenuous day of school, and I went into the kitchen to grab myself a snack. I looked onto the countertop only to find a list of chores to do from my lovely stepmother, Mary. It was titled, to me, Camilla, not either of my sisters, Victoria or Nicole. I picked up the sheet of paper, only to find that it had a backside, with a continuous list of ridiculous tasks for me to complete while Mary took her two daughters out shopping with my father’s credit card, like she did almost every Friday evening. But tonight was different, tonight was the night of our senior prom, and both Victoria and Nicole had dates with their simple boyfriends, but I had plans to lose myself in a good book, or a good show on Netflix, after I completed my series of chores. Of course I had wanted to go to the prom, and accompany my best friend Amanda, but I had no dress, and no money for one either, and so I pushed that fantasy far back into my mind.
I had my headphones in and I was jamming to my favorite music when I looked up and saw Amanda’s face smiling down at me. I jumped back, startled by her presence, and took out my headphones. She came over, without notice like she typically did, but I never minded. She talked about her dress, how she was going to wear her hair and makeup, and was consumed by her own vision. She had noticed I was just quietly scrubbing the tiles on the kitchen floor, as she sat upon the kitchen counter. She jumped down, and before I could protest her dirty shoes against my clean floor, she was gone. When she returned she was holding a long garment bag, and I expected it to be her dress, but when she devilishly grinned at me, I stood up shaking my head, ready to protest. Before I could spit out any words she declared: “You’re going, and don’t even try to argue with me.” I knew better than to argue when Amanda had her mind made up.
That night, after Amanda had convinced her chess club companions to come over to help me with my list of chores, she curled my hair, applied makeup to areas I had never thought to on my face. When I looked into the mirror, I didn’t even recognize the girl staring back at me. I slipped into the pink and gold number, and fastened a pair of gold heels to my feet. I was ready to embark on my first formal adventure. We climbed into the limo Amanda had rented, and I laughed, and felt carefree for the first time in a while, and I was happy.
When we arrived at the hotel where prom was being held, I began to get nervous but Amanda grabbed my hand and we stepped inside. I was amazed at the venue, and delighted to be there. That night I danced my heart away, and then a tall handsome senior came over and asked me for a dance. He had dark brown hair, and eyes blue as the ocean on a clear day. His name was Liam, and his face was sweet like an angel. He looked down at me and held me close, asking me questions like he genuinely wanted to know me. I was shy, blushing when he told me I looked beautiful. This didn’t seem tangible, these kind of things only happened in fairytales, and my life certainly was not one.
When it came time to leave, I slipped out of Liam’s grip, rushing to find Amanda, so we could hurry home before my stepmother returned from her night out on the town, bar hopping and spending my father’s money. When we sat down in the limo, I realized I had forgotten my phone, but it was too late to turn around for it. I sweared under my breath, nervously shaking and re-living those last magical hours I had spent dancing with Liam.
Once I arrived home, I quickly slipped out of my dress, wiped off my makeup, threw my hair up into a messy bun, and changed into my favorite pair of grey sweatpants and my vintage budweiser t-shirt. Once everyone had returned home, and I had shut my computer, pausing my episode of Gossip Girl, I went to fetch the house phone. I dialed my cell-phone number, hearing the ringing through the other end, and then a familiar voice picked up. “Hello?” And I smiled to myself, saying “Hi, it’s Camilla, I think I accidentally lost my phone...” and on the other end I could hear him step away from a party, as if he was escaping into a vacant room to hear me. He replied in a soft, engaging voice “Ah yes, I’ve been waiting for you to call. Now I finally have your number.” And that was the beginning to a long night of conversation over the phone with Liam. We talked into the early hours of the morning, whispering not to wake anyone. We made plans to see each other for breakfast the following day, and I don’t know if I was going to end up with a happily ever after but in that moment, I was content, and happy to have met such an stunning person.
No comments:
Post a Comment