Thursday, April 3, 2014

Famous First Lines

It was a wrong number that started it, the telephone ringing three times in the dead of night, and the voice on the other end asking for someone he was not. —Paul Auster, City of Glass (1985)
Once I picked up the phone it was a man with a deep mysterious voice. At first I just thought it was another telemarketer trying to scam me into whatever they were selling, but I then realized it was something much greater. The conversation went something like this:
Man: “Hello.”
Me: “Hey, who is this?”
Man: “You don’t know who I am, but I know who you are.”
At that point my heart started pounding out of my chest, but then I thought this is just some prank.
Me: ”This isn’t funny.”
Man: “This isn’t meant to be funny.”
Me: “Okay! I’ve had enough of this.”
Then I hung up the phone hoping that the anonymous person wouldn’t call back. Then the phone started ringing again immediately after. I picked up and said;
Me: “Look buddy…”
Man: “You’ve got to listen this is important. You’ve got to get out of the house before…”
The phone started to crackle.
Me: “Hello?! Hello!?”
Then the line disconnected. I then sat there in the dark with nothing, but my table lamp turned on. What he said kept repeating in my head “You’ve got to get out of the house before.” “Before what?” I thought. The phone never rang again so I fell back asleep. It was around two o’clock at night when I was woken up by my dog Lucy. “Lucy quiet!.” I yelled, but the dog continued to bark in her low pitch tone that shook the house. I went downstairs to check what Lucy was barking at, and there I saw that the doors lock had been broken and the window was wide open.
I took Lucy and ran out of the house, I didn’t know where I was running to all I knew is that I couldn’t stop. Someone caught up to be and grabbed me from behind and I blacked out.
“Where…..where am I?” I asked confused because the room was spinning. It looked like I was in some sort of basement. I then heard people arguing at a distance.I could barely make out what they were saying, but it sounded somewhat like this:
Unknown “Damnit! Damnit! What if someone saw you chase him in the street! You could have blown our cover.
Unknown #2: “That’s impossible it was pitch dark out!”
Unknown: “What if someone finds his stupid dog and asks questions.”
I tried being quiet but all of a sudden I had pain in my side and I gave out a grown.
Unknown: “he’s awake.”
The second unknown person came down the stairs and started to patch up my side. He explained:
Ted: “Hey, ya sorry about that, you weren’t giving up that easy. Oh and by the way my names ted.”
He then handed me a glass of water. It seemed like they were trying to help me.
Ted: “So, I need to ask you something really important. Where is the key that has a silver unicorn on it…”
Me: “Silver Unicorn?”
Ted: “Ya. Don’t play you know where it is.”
Unknown guy #1 comes down the stairs
Unknown: “Ted jesus christ, stop messing with the poor guy.”
Unknown: “We are going to need you to come with us.”
They then took me to a holding cell. I was confused and scared but it didn’t seem like they wanted to hurt me so I cooperated. Could it be possible they wanted to help? In the cell they asked me a series of questions. Then something bizarre happened, well this all has been bizarre, but you know what I mean.
Unknown: “We are going put you under house arrest until we figure some things out. Now we are going to sedate you because it is crucial that you don’t know where you are going.”
Me: “You got to ask me questions now I need to ask you some! Who are you?! Where are you taking me! Why…”
Then they stuck a needle into my arm and I lost consciousness.

I woke up in a bed, but this wasn’t my bed. I ran to find a door and there was one, but it was locked. I started banging on it and screaming “Let me out.” Then the phone started to ring and I answered it, but all that was said was “I warned you.” Then whoever it was hung up before I could get a word out. I tried dialing phone numbers of family and people I knew but nothing was getting out. I followed the chord but the phone was unplugged.

1 comment:

  1. Very creative. I liked where you took the story

    ReplyDelete